Thursday, April 23, 2009
Week Four Reading Response
I'm still reading and absolutely love the letures; i'll stick to just one small point of clarification... In the third lecture Foucault discusses processes of normation and normalization (57). He argues that disciplinary techniques of the state and government rely on a norm as a model for constructing the normal and the abnormal. So the norm is the milieu, drawing from his secon lecture, within which the normal and abnormal are judged. Foucault tries to differentiate between normation, which I read as the process by which the norm comes into being as regulative and normalization the process by which what's normal is constructed. I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive, as Foucault is suggesting- he seems to be distancing himself from processes of normalization in talking about the norm, but I think that in order for norms to become regulative they rely on processes of normalization whether or not normalization is related to law, social interactions, ideological apparatuses etc. What do you all think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment